• Vehicle insurance and the law

    You must have motor insurance to drive your vehicle on roads in the UK or to park your vehicle on public or private land unless the vehicle has been declared as being off the road with a ‘Statutory Off Road Notification’. Insurance is not transferred over with the ownership of the car.

    Third party insurance is the legal minimum. If you are in an accident third party insurance means that the repair costs for any damage you have caused is covered.  But it won’t cover costs to repair your own vehicle.

    If you have fully comprehensive insurance, you may not always be insured to drive any vehicle so please make sure you check that you can do so.

    Remember, vehicles must be insured to the address that you live in.

    Please do not buy insurance from anyone other than a reputable high street or online company. If you buy traders insurance, and you are not in a trade, you may not be covered.

  • Punishment for driving without insurance

    Uninsured drivers face a fine of £300 and six penalty points if they’re caught driving a vehicle that they are not insured to drive.

    If the case goes to court the driver could be disqualified from driving and face a larger fine.

    The police also have the power to seize, and in some cases, destroy the vehicle that’s being driven uninsured.

  • What happens if you collided with an uninsured driver?

    If an uninsured driver has hit you, and there were no injuries as a result, complete our online reporting form.

    If you’ve had a collision and someone suffered a non-serious injury, a national collision reporting form will be completed by a police officer.

    To make an appointment you can use live chat, visit your local police station or call 101. 

    You will need:

    • your driving licence
    • your insurance certificate
    • any evidence you have about the collision

    If the injury is serious and requires immediate medical attention, please call 999.

  • How can I report an uninsured driver?

    If you know someone who is driving a vehicle without insurance you can report this to us using our Live Chat facility, which can be accessed by clicking the button on the right of the screen. You can see our chat opening hours here. If Live Chat is unavailable call us on 101.

    If life is in danger please dial 999 immediately.

  • Declare your vehicle as SORN

    If you’re taking your vehicle off the road or keeping it in a garage you will need to tell the DVLA.  This is known as ‘Statutory Off Road Notification’ (SORN).

    You will not need to insure your vehicle if it has been declared as SORN. 


Did you find the page you were looking for?
Did you find the information useful?
Rate this page (1 star poor – 5 stars excellent).
*Required field.