In May 2021, Coventry becomes the UK City of Culture.
This means the city will host events and initiatives across many different types of arts and culture, including:
Among others. This will show Coventry as a diverse and modern place, on both the national and international stage.
The City of Culture Trust has planned the events programme. The celebrations will take place until May 2022.
West Midlands Police will play a key part in the events and celebrations planned. We’re working hard with:
- Coventry City Council
- other partners
To make sure that Coventry is ready for the event. We’ll safely police it, but we’ll also look at new and innovative ways we can connect with people.
The City of Culture is not a title for us. It’s also a chance to create a Coventry that is safe for those:
- and visiting
We want to support significant change to Coventry. We’ll do this by:
- policing events as positively as possible. We’ll make sure warmth and friendship is at the heart, in line with our force values
- providing a proportionate and effective policing response, making the city safe to visit
- engaging with people, from the planning until the events take place. This will hopefully allow us to build stronger relationships with you
- using the events over the year to bring us closer to you and change how we engage with you
- using the enthusiasm of volunteering during the City Culture to gain volunteers and active citizens. This means we can work with them to help keep Coventry safe
- promoting the great work our people do
- working with the City of Culture Trust on ways to divert people from crime through arts and culture
How to get involved
- look at our volunteering roles
- sign up to WMNow, our free messaging tool. When you sign up, opt in to City of Culture as an interest group to receive messages about this
You can also get involved in other ways to help make your area safer.
Where can I get more information?