How to pay traffic fines
Fixed Penalty Notices or Traffic Offence Reports can be issued for a wide range of traffic offences, including driving without due care and attention, using a mobile phone whilst driving, obstruction, vehicle defects and no insurance.
The Central Ticket Office deals with the processing of all fixed penalty notices, speeding offences, penalty notices for disorder and traffic offence reports (TORs).
They do not deal with payments of fines. You can pay your fixed penalty notice here or by calling the national payment line on 0300 1231 481. You can pay your fine via these methods at any time.
We may issue a traffic offence report (TOR) instead of a fixed penalty ticket as they allows us to offer driver education courses.
There are two types of motoring offence for which a TOR can be issued:
- Non-Endorsable offences – these offences carry a fine of between £30 to £100 with no penalty points endorsed on your driving licence.
- Endorsable offences – these offences carry a fine of between £100 - £300 and can result in between three and six penalty points being endorsed on your driving licence. Some endorsable offences allow the opportunity to attend a educational course instead of paying a fine. However certain eligibility criteria needs to be met including not having attended the same course within a three year period, in order for this option to be offered.
The National Speed Awareness Course is designed to cover appropriate offences detected by speed cameras and police at the road side.
The What's Driving Us Course is for drivers that knew their actions amounted to an offence.
The Driving 4 Change course is for drivers who demonstrate carelessness or under performance.
The National Driver Alertness course is for drivers who have been involved in a road traffic collision.
The Ride course is specifically for drivers who have committed offences while riding a motorcycle.
If you wish to challenge a traffic offence report sent to you, full details on how to do so will be on the back of the letter that will be sent to you.
- You can pay your fixed penalty notice by clicking here.
- To find out more about the potential penalties you could receive for speeding, click here.
- To find out more about the law on using a mobile device while driving, click here.
- To find out more about the law on wearing a seatbelt while in a vehicle, click here.
- If you would like more help on selecting the correct booster seat for your child, click here.
- Click here to find out more information about driver education courses.