Two teenagers convicted of child abduction
Two teenagers have been found guilty of child abduction after stealing a car and driving off with two children inside.
The youths, both aged 15 at the time, claimed they did not know the young boys were strapped in the back seats when they pinched the Nissan on 20 February this year.
Our officers were immediately dispatched to help after the children’s distraught dad called us at around 5pm to report his car had been stolen in Birmingham with his two young boys, aged two and four, still inside.
A police chase ensued before the teenagers crashed the car into two other vehicles on the busy A38 Bristol Road, just before the Belgrave Interchange junction.
Both teens - who cannot be named for legal reasons - were arrested by our armed officers and taken into police custody.
They were initially charged with kidnap, however the charge was later replaced with child abduction by the Crown Prosecution Service.
The young brothers were looked after by officers at the roadside as we blue-lighted their mum and dad to the scene in order for the family to be reunited.
The older child didn’t sustain any injuries in the crash, but his two-year-old brother suffered bruising and a cut to his mouth caused by the straps of his car seat.
Both defendants admitted aggravated vehicle taking, incorporating dangerous driving, at a previous hearing, but denied child abduction.
The teen who drove the car insisted he did not realise the young brothers were inside until he was arrested.
However, the boy’s dad told the court that he shouted at the thieves, warning them his two sons were inside the car before they drove off. And at court last week (21 April) the judge said it was common sense that the children would not have remained quiet during the journey.
The older of the two defendants has been released on bail until sentencing on 17 May. The younger boy - who drove the stolen car - has been remanded into youth detention and will be sentenced at Birmingham Crown Court on Wednesday 19 May.