Did you find the page you were looking for?
Did you find the information useful?
Rate this page (1 star poor – 5 stars excellent).
*Required field.

Man jailed for religiously aggravated attacks on five Birmingham mosques

28 November update: Rezazadeh was today jailed for three years and nine months at Birmingham Crown Court.

A man who attacked five Birmingham mosques with a sledgehammer has admitted religiously aggravated criminal damage.

Arman Rezazadeh, aged 34, smashed windows of five north Birmingham mosques in the early hours of 21 March this year, sparking widespread concern in the community.

Arman Rezazadeh
Arman Rezazadeh

Rezazadeh first struck at the Witton Islamic Centre on Witton Road, Aston, at around 1.25am on March 21. 

CCTV showed him smashing through a window with a sledgehammer, which then fell into the building as he lost grip.

Rezazadeh, a Muslim of Iranian descent who has lived in the UK for around 20 years, returned 30 minutes later and continued the attack, leaving all outside windows broken and causing £3,100 of damage.

Minutes later, he struck at the Masjid Madrassa Faziul Islam Centre on The Broadway, Perry Barr, smashing three more windows, causing £300 of damage.

At around 2.15am, he attacked the Al-Habib Trust on Birchfield Road, Aston.

Again, he was caught on CCTV as he smashed nine windows, causing £1,000 of damage.

Around 15 minutes later, he struck at the Jamia Masjid Ghausia on Albert Road, smashing five windows and causing £5,000 of damage.

Finally, at around 3am, he smashed the front windows of the Jam-E-Masjid Qiblah Hadhrat Sahib Gulhar Shareef on Slade Road, Erdington, smashing windows at the side of the mosque.

A major hate crime investigation was launched, with support from the West Midlands Counter Terrorism Unit, and Rezazadeh handed himself in at Birmingham Central police station at around 1.30pm the following day.

In interview, Rezazadeh behaved erratically and initially denied responsibility.

He later said he disagreed with the teachings of an Imam at another mosque, and said he only handed himself in so he could have an audience with a judge to tell him about the imam. 

Rezazadeh was detained under the Mental Health Act, before being deemed fit to stand trial. Today (31 October) he pleaded guilty to five charges of religiously aggravated damage. He was bailed to come back for sentencing in four weeks.

Ch Supt Kenny Bell, in charge of policing in Birmingham East, said: “We fully understand the major impact that these attacks on sacred places of worship had on the Muslim community in Birmingham, especially as they happened just days after the appalling terrorist attack at mosques in Christchurch.

“They were quite understandably left worried and angry by what had happened. 

“We offered all our support and assistance to the affected mosques right from the outset, and that support in terms of security advice and listening to their concerns continues right to this day.

“It has rightly been treated as a hate crime, something we take incredibly seriously.

“There are great relationships between faith communities, and between those communities and the police in the West Midlands, and we will not allow isolated incidents like this to in any way damage those relationships.”

If anyone has concerns about the behaviour of individuals around places of worship, get in touch via Live Chat at If you are worried about change in behaviour or beliefs of someone, you can get in touch with us and speak to your local Prevent officer on 101. Alternatively, visit Let's Talk About It.

Join Us

Great news! We are recruiting, come and join us.

Find out how to join the force by visiting our dedicated jobs website.


Active Citizens

Active Citizens - Money available to help communites

Find out more about the Active Citizens Fund