Sir David Thompson is our Chief Constable, and has been since 2016. Before this, he joined us as Deputy Chief Constable in 2010.
In his current role, Sir David sets our direction alongside the Police and Crime Commissioner’s plan. He wants to create a modern police service that:
- prevents crime
- protects people
- helps those in need
Alongside his role as Chief Constable, he's also:
- Chair of the 2022 Commonwealth Games Security Board
- Vice Chair of the National Police Chiefs’ Council
- Director of BlueLight Commercial Ltd
Before joining us, Sir David worked for Greater Manchester Police (GMP) for 20 years. He has a degree in Law from the University of Liverpool.
During his time with GMP, he led on:
- policing the 2002 Commonwealth Games
- policing Central Manchester
- portfolios for operations, local policing and terrorism, amongst others
Sir David received a knighthood in 2021 and the Queen’s Police Medal in 2014 for services to policing. He was appointed Deputy Lieutenant of the West Midlands in 2020 for his work in the community.